Connect with us

Sports

Former Australian Cricketer Stuart MacGill Kidnapped, Released Hour Later, 4 Arrested: Cops | Cricket News

Published

on

Former Australian Cricketer Stuart MacGill Kidnapped, Released Hour Later, 4 Arrested: Cops | Cricket News


Former Australian Cricketer Stuart MacGill Kidnapped, Released Hour Later, 4 Arrested: Cops

Stuart MacGill played 44 Tests for Australia.© AFP




Australian police on Wednesday arrested four men in connection with the armed kidnapping of former Test bowler Stuart MacGill. The men were detained in a pre-dawn raid in Sydney, following the kidnapping of the cricketer in the city’s affluent Lower North Shore last month. MacGill was lauded as a talented bowler and played 44 Tests for Australia, but was unlucky that his career coincided with that of Shane Warne, ranked by many as the best spin bowler of all time. 

Police said that on April 14 the 50-year-old MacGill was confronted by three men at an intersection and bundled into a vehicle.

He was driven to a property an hour out of the city where he was allegedly assaulted and threatened with a firearm before being released after the hour-long ordeal.

“I know it was only an hour that he was held but it would have been a horribly frightful hour to endure,” NSW Police superintendent Anthony Holton told media.

 MacGill, who knew one of his alleged kidnappers, was “still quite shaken” by the incident, Holton said.

After “extensive investigations” a police strike force and riot officers arrested four men aged 27, 29, 42 and 46, in the early hours of Wednesday.

Promoted

Although no ransom was paid police believe the kidnapping was financially motivated.

The four men were in the process of being charged and were expected to appear in court later on Wednesday.

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

Sports

Tokyo Olympics: Naomi Osaka “Not Sure” Games Should Go Ahead | Tennis News

Published

on

Tokyo Olympics: Naomi Osaka “Not Sure” Games Should Go Ahead | Tennis News


Tokyo Olympics: Naomi Osaka

Naomi Osaka said she is “not really sure” about Tokyo Olympics going ahead as scheduled.© AFP




Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka has said she is “not really sure” the delayed Tokyo Olympics should go ahead as the city battles a surge of coronavirus cases less than three months before the start of the Games. A virus state of emergency in the Japanese capital and other parts of the country was extended last week as organisers weigh up whether to press ahead in the face of mounting pressure to cancel the global spectacle.

When asked if it was correct to host the Games in the middle of a global pandemic, the 23-year-old reigning US and Australian women’s champion told the BBC “to be honest, I’m not really sure” if they should be held as planned from July 23.

“I’m an athlete, and of course my immediate thought is that I want to play in the Olympics,” the four-time Grand Slam winner said at the Rome WTA tournament.

“But as a human, I would say we’re in a pandemic, and if people aren’t healthy, and if they’re not feeling safe, then it’s definitely a really big cause for concern.”

More than 10,000 athletes from 200 countries and regions are set to travel to Tokyo for the Games, with a decision expected in June on how many domestic fans, if any at all, can attend.

“I’ve never played an Olympic event, so it’s not like I would have anything to compare it to,” Osaka said of the possibility of no spectators.

Promoted

Despite fewer number of deaths than many countries, Japan’s vaccine rollout is moving slowly and some areas have seen record cases as more infectious variants drive fresh waves of contagion.

More than 300,000 people have signed a online petition launched last week titled “Cancel the Tokyo Olympics to protect our lives” in a bid to sway the government and Olympic officials.

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

England players unlikely to feature in rescheduled IPL: Giles

Published

on

England players unlikely to feature in rescheduled IPL: Giles


England’s centrally contracted players are likely to miss the remainder of the COVID-19-hit Indian Premier League (IPL) season if the Twenty20 tournament clashes with the international schedule, managing director Ashley Giles said on Monday.

The IPL was suspended indefinitely last week after several players and support staff tested positive for COVID-19. India reported 366,161 new COVID-19 infections on Monday, taking the case load to 22.66 million.

A potential window to complete the IPL is before the Twenty20 World Cup in October when England is scheduled to tour Bangladesh and Pakistan.

“If those tours go ahead I’d expect them (players) to be there,” Giles told British media. “We’re planning on the involvement of England players in England matches.”


Sri Lanka vs India: Colombo set to host the entire ODI, T20I series

 

Giles had previously agreed that England players who were involved in the latter stages of the IPL could miss the two-test series against top-ranked New Zealand starting June 2.

“The New Zealand scenario was very different,” Giles said. “Those matches were formalised at the end of January, by which time contracts were signed for players to have full involvement in the IPL.”

Following the postponement of the IPL, England internationals Jos Buttler, Sam Curran, Chris Woakes, Jonny Bairstow and Moeen Ali – all currently serving their 10-day isolation period in government-approved hotels – could now be available for selection.


Veda Krishnamurthy cautions about COVID after losing mother, sister

But Giles said those in quarantine will not be rushed back into the team and England is likely to consider a bigger pool of players this summer.

“We need to look after them, with the amount of cricket they’ve got coming up, we’re not going to rush or force them back into cricket,” Giles said.

“(Head coach) Chris Silverwood will work with each and every one of them, as will our medical teams, on what’s best for their progress.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

“How do you raise a black son?”- Din Thomas asks Michael Chandler a fascinating question

Published

on

“How do you raise a black son?”- Din Thomas asks Michael Chandler a fascinating question


In the latest episode of Din Thomas’ YouTube series ‘Din Dairies,’ the former fighter went over to Florida to meet up with UFC lightweight, Michael Chandler. Chandler is currently preparing for a lightweight title shot against Charles Olivera at UFC 262.

In the video, Thomas and Chandler initially train together at Sanford MMA before going to Chandler’s house to watch some tape on his upcoming opponent. However, the conversation quickly shifts to how Chandler has to spend time away from his family to fight.

“How do you raise a black son?”

This leads to Thomas asking how Michael Chandler responds when people ask him how he raises a black son as a white man. Chandler’s response was considered and thought out. He stated the following:

“Well, I think it adds an extra wrinkle to it, obviously. Because of, you know, kind of different experiences in life. I can’t say I know what it’s like to be a black man in America. But I would say that number one, it goes back to whether he’s black, white or any race in between, how do I raise a good man?”

“A loving man, a joyful man. A man who believes in himself to do ridiculously amazing things with the gifts that God has given him. And then all of the other stuff will, I think, take care of itself. God will put people in his life who may be able to educate him more on the African American community or African American struggles,” explained Michael Chandler.

Michael Chandler went on to say that whilst he is attempting to do his own research on the matter, he does not want to overcompensate for it.

“I have been trying to do more and more research. I want to be well-read or well versed on it but I also don’t want to overcompensate too much for it as if it is the most important thing. Because I don’t think race is the most important thing. And I don’t know if that’s the right answer or the wrong answer. I’m still trying to figure it out,” said Michael Chandler.

As Michael Chandler states in the video, he must be away from his son and wife whilst he travels to Texas to fight at UFC 262. Despite being only one fight into his UFC career, Chandler is already set to fight for the vacant lightweight title.






Source link

Continue Reading

Trending