Connect with us

Sports

German FA Panel To Investigate President Over Nazi Remark | Football News

Published

on

German FA Panel To Investigate President Over Nazi Remark | Football News


German FA Panel To Investigate President Over Nazi Remark

Fritz Keller’s comments sparked outrage and calls for his resignation.© AFP




Embattled German Football Association president Fritz Keller has been ordered to explain to the governing body’s disciplinary committee the comparison he made of his own deputy to a notorious Nazi-era judge. Keller sparked outrage and calls for his resignation after likening DFB vice-president Rainer Koch to Roland Freisler, the infamous head of the Nazi party’s court in the 1940s, during a meeting last month. On Monday, the DFB’s ethics committee brought the case before their sports court, who will hear Keller’s explanation behind closed doors, either in person or a written statement.

“I will, of course, take responsibility for my statement before the (DFB) sports court,” Keller, 64, told German daily Bild.

Hans E. Lorenz, chairman of the three-man DFB sports court, told AFP subsidiary SID that he expects a judgement “in the second half of May”.

On Sunday, the presidents of the DFB’s regional associations, which run Germany’s semi-professional and amateur leagues, said Keller had lost a vote of confidence and been “asked to step down from his position”.

Promoted

DFB general secretary Friedrich Curtius was likewise asked to vacate his role after losing a confidence vote.

Keller has apologised to Koch, acknowledging that his words were “totally inappropriate, notably towards the victims of Nazism”, but ruled out stepping down over the incident.

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

Sports

Kuldeep Yadav Receives A Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine | Cricket News

Published

on

Kuldeep Yadav Receives A Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine | Cricket News





India and Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) spinner Kuldeep Yadav received a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine on Saturday. Kuldeep posted a photo of himself getting vaccinated and urged everyone to get the jab in order to fight against the coronavirus pandemic. “Get vaccinated immediately whenever you get a chance. Be safe because you need to be united in the fight against COVID-19,” Kuldeep tweeted in Hindi.

India Test opening batsman Shubman Gill also received his COVID-19 vaccine jab on Saturday.

Earlier this week, pacer Jasprit Bumrah skipper Virat Kohli, fast bowler Ishant Sharma, batsman Cheteshwar Pujara and Rishabh Pant also received their jabs.

Pant, Rahane, Umesh Yadav, Ishant, Kohli, Bumrah, and Pujara will be seen in action when India play against New Zealand in the final of the World Test Championship (WTC) in June.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has made a foolproof plan for the national team before they depart for the UK to play the WTC final and the five-match Test series against England.

Speaking to ANI, sources in the know of the roadmap drawn said arrangements have been made for all the players to undergo three RT-PCR tests before assembling in Mumbai on May 19.

“The players will be undergoing three RT-PCR tests at their homes, and once they return negative tests, they will be assembling in Mumbai on May 19. Everyone in the contingent will be undergoing 14-day quarantine in India before they leave for the UK on June 2,” said the source.

Promoted

Almost all the members of the Indian contingent set to depart for the UK have taken the first dose of their Covid-19 vaccine and they are likely to take the second jab in the UK itself.

India’s squad: Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill, Mayank Agarwal, Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli (captain), Ajinkya Rahane (vice-captain), Hanuma Vihari, Rishabh Pant (wicket-keeper), Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Washington Sundar, Jasprit Bumrah, Ishant Sharma, Mohammad Shami, Mohammed Siraj, Shardul Thakur, Umesh Yadav, KL Rahul (subject to fitness clearance), Wriddhiman Saha (wicket-keeper; subject to fitness clearance).

Topics mentioned in this article





Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Serie A: 10-Man Juventus Win Inter Milan Thriller To Keep Champions League Hopes Alive | Football News

Published

on

Serie A: 10-Man Juventus Win Inter Milan Thriller To Keep Champions League Hopes Alive | Football News





Juan Cuadrado scored twice, including a late penalty, as Juventus beat Inter Milan 3-2 to keep their Champions League hopes alive on Saturday in a game where three spot kicks were awarded and both teams finished a man down. Juve moved up to fourth equal on points with third-placed AC Milan and two points ahead of Napoli who both play on Sunday. The win ended the 20-match unbeaten run for Antonio Conte’s Inter who had denied Juventus a 10th consecutive league title this season.

“It was important for us to win so we can keep hoping,” said coach Andrea Pirlo. 

“If we’d shown the same desire and determination as in our last few games, we’d be in a different position. 

“If we’re going into the final game of the season fighting for fourth place, clearly we’ve come up short somewhere.”

Cristiano Ronaldo missed a penalty after 24 minutes but turned in the rebound to bring his tally to a Serie A leading tally 29 goals this campaign.

But Inter got back level nine minutes later with a Romelu Lukaku penalty, to move him second behind Ronaldo with 23 goals.

Juve pulled ahead before half-time when Cuadrado blasted in past Samir Handanovic.

But the hosts played most of the second half a man down after Rodrigo Bentancur was sent off for a second yellow card for a Lukaku tackle.

Ronaldo was substituted off with 20 minutes to go with Alvaro Morata coming off the bench.

“Cristiano was perhaps happy for the first time to be subbed off because we were down to 10 and he would have had to run in a vacuum for the rest of the game,” said Pirlo. 

Captain Giorgio Chiellini turned into his own net with seven minutes to go but in a dramatic end to the game Juve were awarded another penalty for an Ivan Perisic foul on Cuadrado which the Colombian converted.

Inter also finished the game a man down with Marcelo Brozovic getting a second booking in injury time.

“This is a massive win,” said Chiellini.

“I don’t know if it will help us qualify for the Champions League but at the moment we deserve the position we’re in. 

“We haven’t been consistent enough and we know that.”

Roma end Lazio Champions League hopes

Earlier Atalanta sealed their spot in the Champions League for a third consecutive season with a 4-3 win over Genoa.

The Bergamo side are second, three points ahead of AC Milan and Juventus, and are assured of elite European football before the two teams go head-to-head next weekend.

Atalanta paved the way with three first half goals. 

Ruslan Malinovskyi set up Duvan Zapata for the opener and then scored himself, with Robin Gosens grabbing a third before the break.

Mario Pasalic added a fourth six minutes after the break before 14th-placed Genoa hit back with an Eldor Shomurodov brace either side of a Goran Pandev goal just after an hour.

“For us, returning to the Champions League this year tastes better,” said coach Gian Piero Gasperini, who brought the Bergamo side to elite European football for the first time in the 2019-2020 season.

“Three times in the Champions League is a great achievement. The trophy would be the icing on the cake, but we are convinced that we have won a lot anyway.”

Atalanta will bid for just their second ever trophy in the Coppa Italia final against Juventus next Wednesday in Reggio Emilia.

The club won the Coppa Italia back in 1963.

Even if Milan, who host 16th-placed Cagliari on Sunday, win their last two matches, Atalanta are now assured of a top-four finish.

Promoted

Roma won their first derby since 2018 against Lazio 2-0 with goals in either half from Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Pedro, ending their city rivals’ hopes of a return to the Champions League.

Lazio are eight points behind Juventus having played a game less.

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Kobe Bryant Inducted Posthumously Into Basketball Hall Of Fame | Basketball News

Published

on

Kobe Bryant Inducted Posthumously Into Basketball Hall Of Fame | Basketball News





Los Angeles Lakers icon Kobe Bryant was inducted posthumously into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on Saturday part of a star-studded group that also included Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. Bryant was inducted as part of the Class of 2020, almost 16 months after he and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna were killed in a helicopter crash along with seven others in southern California. Bryant’s wife, Vanessa Bryant, took the podium Saturday to speak movingly about his love for basketball, his family, his teammates and his fans.

“You did it. You are in the Hall of Fame now. You are a true champion, not just an MVP. You are an all-time great,” Vanessa said.

San Antonio Spurs star Duncan, Minnesota Timberwolves and Boston Celtics big man Garnett, two-time NBA champion coach Rudy Tomjanovich and WNBA legend Tamika Catchings were among those also inducted on Saturday night.

The delayed enshrinement stretched over two days at the Mohegan Sun Resort and Casino in Uncasville, Connecticut, with Vanessa Bryant and Kobe’s oldest daughter, Natalia, accepting  Bryant’s Hall of Fame jacket and ring on Friday night.

Bryant and the others were voted into the Hall of Fame as part of the 2020 class, but the formal induction ceremony was delayed because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

“There will never be anyone like Kobe,” Vanessa said. “Kobe was one of a kind. He was special. He was humble – off the court – but bigger than life.”

Vanessa was helped to the stage by NBA legend Michael Jordan, who acted as a presenter for Kobe and three-time NCAA champion coach Kim Mulkey.

“He and Gigi deserved to be here to witness this. Gigi would have been so proud of her dad getting into the Hall of Fame,” Vanessa said.

Like Kobe, Garnett went straight out of high school to the NBA. Garnett talked of his respect and admiration for both Duncan and Kobe.

“I appreciate you,” Garnett said to Duncan from the stage. “It’s an honor to go into the hall with you, bro. You and Kob.”

Garnett played 21 seasons for Minnesota, Boston and Brooklyn, averaging 17.8 points and 10.0 rebounds per game.

“My only regret with Minnesota is that I didn’t get to bring a championship,” Garnett said. “But like I said, I look forward to rebuilding Minneapolis.”

Duncan had an immediate impact in the NBA, winning the rookie of the year award. His first NBA title came just one year after that.

‘Most nervous’

“This is the most nervous I’ve ever been in my life,” the retiring Duncan said. “Been through finals, game sevens, this is officially the most nervous I’ve ever been in my life. I’ve been pacing in my room all day.”

In 19 seasons with the San Antonio Spurs, Duncan averaged 19.0 points, 10.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists, and 2.2 blocks per game.

Promoted

Catchings overcame a number of obstacles leading up to her stellar basketball career.

“Basketball chose me, an awkward, lanky, introverted tomboy, born with a hearing disability, a speech impediment, and a will to overcome obstacles, dream big and to change the world,” Catchings said.

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending