Connect with us

Sports

Serie A: Jose Mourinho Joins Roma On Three-Year Deal | Football News

Published

on

Serie A: Jose Mourinho Joins Roma On Three-Year Deal | Football News





Jose Mourinho will take over as coach of Roma on a three-year deal from next season, the Serie A club announced on Tuesday. Mourinho, sacked by Premier League club Tottenham last month, will replace fellow Portuguese Paulo Fonseca who will leave Roma at the end of the current campaign. Mourinho returns to Italy where he led Inter Milan to the treble in 2010. The 58-year-old also won the Champions League with Porto in 2004, three Premier League titles with Chelsea and La Liga with Real Madrid in 2012.

Mourinho, who led Manchester United to the Europa League in 2017, has signed a contract with Roma that runs until June 30, 2024.

“We are thrilled and delighted to welcome Jose Mourinho into the AS Roma family,” club president Dan Friedkin and vice-president Ryan Friedkin said.

“A great champion who has won trophies at every level, Jose will provide tremendous leadership and experience to our ambitious project.

“The appointment of Jose is a huge step in building a long-term and consistent winning culture throughout the club.”

Mourinho has claimed 25 major trophies in his career to date and joins a club that hasn’t won Serie A since 2001.

“Thank you to the Friedkin family for choosing me to lead this great club and to be part of their vision,” Mourinho said in a statement.

“It is the same ambition and drive that has always motivated me and together we want to build a winning project over the upcoming years.

“The incredible passion of the Roma fans convinced me to accept the job and I cannot wait to start next season.”

‘One of the greatest’

Mourinho is one of only three managers to have won the Champions League with two different clubs, a feat he has also repeated in the Europa League.

“When Jose became available, we immediately jumped at the chance to speak with one of the greatest managers of all time,” said Roma general manager Tiago Pinto.

“We were blown away by Jose’s desire to win and his passion for the game: no matter how many trophies he has won, his primary focus is always on the next one. He possesses the knowledge, experience and leadership to compete at all levels.”

Earlier Roma confirmed that Fonseca would leave the club after two years with the three-time Italian champions who are trophyless since 2008.

Fonseca, 48, joined the club in 2019 on a two-year contract with the option for a third year if the club reached the Champions League next season.

The club finished fifth in Serie A last campaign and are currently seventh, nine points behind city rivals Lazio who sit sixth and have a game in hand.

Roma trail Mourinho’s former club Manchester United 6-2 going into Thursday’s second leg of their Europa League semi-final in the Italian capital.

Promoted

Fonseca replaced Claudio Ranieri, who had a brief spell as coach after Eusebio Di Francesco was sacked in January 2019.

Di Francesco had guided the club to the Champions League semi-finals in 2018.

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

Sports

Indian Premier League 2021: How Coronavirus Entered IPL Bio-Bubble? Sourav Ganguly’s Reply | Cricket News

Published

on

Indian Premier League 2021: How Coronavirus Entered IPL Bio-Bubble? Sourav Ganguly’s Reply | Cricket News





Days after the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 was postponed, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly defended the board’s decision to stage the T20 tournament in the country amid the coronavirus pandemic. The former India captain, while explaining it is difficult to contain the virus even inside a bio-secure environment, cited the example of virus breaching Premier League bubble and affecting football players in the UK. 

Speaking about a potential breach in the bio-bubble, Ganguly, in an interview with the Indian Express, said the report received by the board suggests there was no breach. 

“I don’t think so. The report we got is that there’s no breach of the bubble. How it happened is very difficult to say. How so many people are getting (infected) in the country is also very difficult to say,” Ganguly was quoted as saying. 

Four franchises, Kolkata Knight Riders, SunRisers Hyderabad, Delhi Capitals and Chennai Super Kings, reported positive Covid cases within their camps after which the 14th edition of the IPL was postponed indefinitely. 

“Professional hands around the world can’t control it (virus penetrating the bubble). When it was happening in England (second wave of the pandemic), there were cases in the English Premier League. Manchester City, Arsenal players got infected,” Ganguly said. 

The former India skipper mentioned that due to a rigid schedule, it is difficult for the board to reschedule games easily. 

Promoted

“(Premier League) Matches got rescheduled. Because their season is six months long, they can do it. But our season is tight. Since we have to (release) players to their respective countries, rescheduling was very difficult,” Ganguly added. 

The former left-handed batsman further said that there were discussions to host the 14th edition of IPL in the UAE but since there were not many cases back then in the country, the BCCI decided to stage it in India. 

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

New Zealand’s IPL-Based Test Players To Leave For England On May 11, Says NZC | Cricket News

Published

on

New Zealand’s IPL-Based Test Players To Leave For England On May 11, Says NZC | Cricket News





Four members of New Zealand’s Test contingent involved in the now-suspended IPL, including captain Kane Williamson, will leave India for the United Kingdom on May 11 while the rest will make their way back home on Friday, the country’s cricket board has announced. New Zealand are scheduled to play hosts England in a two-match Test series, beginning on June 2, before facing India in the World Test Championships final at Southampton from June 18. “We’ve worked closely with the BCCI and the IPL franchises on the various departure strategies and we’re very appreciative of their support during what is, clearly, a very challenging time,” New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chief executive David White said in a statement on Thursday. 

Skipper Williamson, pacer Kyle Jamieson and spinner Mitchell Santner, as well as physio Tommy Simsek, will remain in a mini-bubble in New Delhi before departing for the UK, ahead of preparations for the Test series against England, and the WTC final against India. 

There were 17 New Zealanders involved in the IPL, including 10 players. 

“We are also very grateful to the England and Wales Cricket Board for accommodating the early arrival of the four members of the Test squad currently in India.” 

NZC said May 11 is the earliest date it could obtain for the team’s arrival in the UK. 

However, pace spearhead Trent Boult will return home briefly to see his family before joining the Test squad in early June, for the second match against England and the WTC final. 

The New Zealand-based Test squad members will depart for England on May 16 and 17. 

“Along with the balance of the New Zealand-bound IPL players, support staff and commentators, Boult is scheduled to depart New Delhi tomorrow on one of two charter flights, arriving in Auckland on Saturday before undergoing managed isolation,” the NZC stated. 

“…Boult will leave MIQ (Managed Isolation and Quarantine) on May 22 and will spend a week at home with his family, training at Mt Maunganui before departing for the UK in early June,” it added. 

New Zealand team trainer Chris Donaldson, who has been with the Kolkata Knight Riders, will also return home briefly to see his family before reconnecting with the Test squad. 

White said Boult and Donaldson will return home for the three-week period with the “blessing” of the cricket board and the national team management. 

“We’re completely supportive of Chris and Trent taking the opportunity to see their families before heading to the UK,” said White. 

“They’ve always been the consummate professionals and we’re more than happy to accommodate these arrangements.” 

White said IPL players, support staff and commentators returning to New Zealand would adhere to all regulatory protocols, including pre-departure COVID-19 tests. 

Promoted

Those returning home from India also include Stephen Fleming, Brendon McCullum, Kyle Mills, Shane Bond, Mike Hesson, Tim Seifert, Adam Milne, Scott Kuggeleijn and James Pamment. 

The league was suspended after four players and two coaching staff members from three different teams tested positive for COVID-19 inside the bio-bubble.

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

IPL 2021: Most New Zealand IPL players to return home on Friday

Published

on

IPL 2021: Most New Zealand IPL players to return home on Friday


Most New Zealand players, coaches and support staff who were involved in the suspended Indian Premier League will return home on a charter flight on Friday.

New Zealand Cricket said national captain Kane Williamson, Black Caps teammates Kyle Jamieson and Mitchell Santner and team physiotherapist Tommy Simsek will remain in a secure bubble in Delhi before flying to London on May 11.


IPL 2021: COVID-19 case in Sunrisers scared us, says Sakariya

 

An exemption to travel to England could not be obtained before that date.

New Zealand-based members of the New Zealand squad will fly to England on May 16 and 17 for a two Test series and to play India in the final of World Test Championship.

They will be joined by Williamson, Jamieson, Santer and Simsek once their isolation is completed.

Fast bowler Trent Boult will return to New Zealand on Friday’s charter flight, will spend time with his family after completing isolation and then will fly to England in early June, in time for the second Test against England.


UK-bound New Zealand cricketers to remain in India till May 10: Players’ union chief

 

The IPL was suspended on May 4 after players and staff in at least three of the eight competing franchises tested positive for the coronavirus which has swept through India in recent weeks.

More than 300,000 new cases per day have been recorded and the Indian health service is under severe strain.

Heath Mills, head of the New Zealand Cricket Players’ Association, said the New Zealand players were eager to leave India as soon as possible. But they, along with other overseas players, have had difficulty finding flights home or to other destinations.

IPL officials and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) have worked to find places for overseas players on charter flights or scheduled commercial flights.


Sri Lanka to tour Bangladesh for 3 ODIs beginning May 23

 

“We’ve worked closely with the BCCI and the IPL franchises on the various departure strategies and we’re very appreciative of their support during what is, clearly, a very challenging time,” NZC chief executive David White said.

“Were also very grateful to the England and Wales Cricket Board for accommodating the early arrival of the four members of The test squad currently in India.”

White said the New Zealand players would have COVID-19 tests prior to departure.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending