Connect with us

Tech

Honor plans on releasing a folding phone line called the ‘Magic’ series this year | Digit

Published

on

Honor plans on releasing a folding phone line called the ‘Magic’ series this year | Digit


Honor, which was the former subsidiary of the Huawei conglomerate, is now all set to enter the market with its foldable device lineup called “Magic”. All the folding devices from this brand will be released under the “Magic” series.

A tipster on Weibo shared a post earlier this week stating that Honor is planning on launching a new foldable smartphone. The device is part of the Magic lineup. The phone is tipped to be a premium grade flagship foldable phone. The previous CEO of Honor, Zhao Ming, had delivered news about the company launching a flagship series like Huawei Mate and Huawei P series under the Honor brand.

Honor could launch foldable phone under the Magic series

Honor had always been a budget device manufacturer since its inception. And now, after the change in ownership of the company, they are all set to release a premium flagship smartphone lineup for the first time. Huawei has already released a foldable phone in the market called the Huawei Mate X. Given the recent acquisition, it may be possible that the new Magic series might just be its counterpart.

Honor, after its separation from Huawei, had also released the first phone called V40 in the market. The V40 is powered by the MediaTek Dimensity 1000+. It also comes with 8GB RAM as a base, making it one of the flagship phones from the company. The phones under the Honor brand now support Google Play Services as the ownership of the company has changed and does not list under the scrutiny of the US government.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tech

US Says Russian Group DarkSide Behind Oil Pipeline Ransomware Attack

Published

on

US Says Russian Group DarkSide Behind Oil Pipeline Ransomware Attack


President Joe Biden said Monday that a Russia-based group was behind the ransomware attack that forced the shutdown of the largest oil pipeline in the eastern United States.

The FBI identified the group behind the hack of Colonial Pipeline as DarkSide, a shadowy operation that surfaced last year and attempts to lock up corporate computer systems and force companies to pay to unfreeze them.

“So far there is no evidence … from our intelligence people that Russia is involved, although there is evidence that actors, ransomware is in Russia,” Biden told reporters.

“They have some responsibility to deal with this,” he said.

Three days after being forced to halt operations, Colonial said Monday it was moving toward a partial reopening of its 5,500 miles (8,850 kilometres) of pipeline – the largest fuel network between Texas and New York.

At the White House, Deputy National Security Advisor Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall said Biden was being kept updated on the incident, which threatened to crimp supplies of gasoline, diesel fuel, and jet fuel across much of the eastern United States.

Colonial said in a statement that “segments of our pipeline are being brought back online.”

“Colonial has told us that it has not suffered damage and can be brought back online relatively quickly,” Sherwood-Randall said, with no fuel disruptions so far.

Seeking ransom
The ransomware forced the company to shut down pipeline controls system for safety reasons.

DarkSide began attacking medium and large-sized companies mostly in Western Europe, Canada, and the United States last year, reportedly asking for anywhere from a few hundred thousand dollars to a few million dollars, to be paid in Bitcoin.

In return, DarkSide supplies the company with a program that will unlock the its computing systems.

They also download and retain large amounts of data from the company, threatening to release it publicly if the company does not pay up.

In a statement on their website on the dark net, they rejected allegations that they had any official backing.

“We are apolitical, we do not participate in geopolitics, do not need to tie us with a defined government and look for other our motives,” it said.

“Our goal is to make money, and not creating problems for society. “

Dmitri Alperovitch, one of the foremost cybersecurity experts who cofounded the firm CrowdStrike, said his group believes DarkSide enjoys official protection in Russia.

“A ransomware group we believe is operating (and likely harbored) by Russia has shutdown a company that is moving 45 percent of petroleum supplying the East Coast. Is it a criminal act? Sure,” he tweeted.

He said it also “undoubtedly” has “huge” national security implications, especially in US-Russia relations.

Another cybersecurity expert, Brett Callow of Emsisoft, told NBC News that an indication of the group’s origins is that its software is designed to not work on computers whose default languages are Russian or several other eastern European languages.

“DarkSide doesn’t eat in Russia,” Callow told NBC.

Anne Neuberger, deputy national security adviser for cyber, said most ransomware comes from transnational criminal groups.

Asked if Colonial Pipeline or other companies should pay the ransom, she said the Biden adminstration has not offered advice on that.

“They have to balance the cost-benefit when they have no choice with regard to paying a ransom,” she said. “Typically that is a private sector decision.”




Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Honor confirms 66W Super Charge on the Honor Play 5

Published

on

Honor confirms 66W Super Charge on the Honor Play 5


As reported by SeekDevice, Honor took to Weibo to officially announce that its upcoming Play 5 5G smartphone will come equipped with 66W charging. This confirms our own reporting from a tipster last month that also offered leaked renders of the Honor Play 5.

Just yesterday, Honor teased the Play 5 on Weibo where it confirmed the device would launch on May 18. Based on the leaks and confirmed teasers we’ve seen so far, it’s expected that Honor may launch more than one Play 5 variant.

Honor confirms 66W Super Charge on the Honor Play 5

The most recent poster features 5G branding while the other does not, so based on the naming structure of the recent poster above, there may be 5G and LTE variants of the Play 5, each with different camera systems and some spec differences between the two.

First render leak of Honor Play 5 reported by <i>GSMArena</i>
First render leak of Honor Play 5 reported by GSMArena

According to previous rumors, the Honor Play 5 will be powered by the Dimensity 800U and sport a 6.53-inch Full HD+ OLED screen. The quad cameras are rumored to consist of a main 64MP unit, an 8MP ultrawide, and dual 2MP sensors, each for depth sensing and macro shots. We’re also expecting to see an in-display fingerprint scanner, and a battery capacity of 3,800 mAh. As of right now, we’re not sure whether these specs reflect one or more than one Honor Play 5 variant.

SourceVia



Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Facebook CEO Asked to Cancel Plans for Instagram for Younger Kids

Published

on

Facebook CEO Asked to Cancel Plans for Instagram for Younger Kids


A group of 40 state attorneys general on Monday urged Facebook Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg to abandon plans to launch a version of Instagram for children under the age of 13.

“Use of social media can be detrimental to the health and well-being of children, who are not equipped to navigate the challenges of having a social media account,” the officials said in a letter.

“Further, Facebook has historically failed to protect the welfare of children on its platforms,” they said.

The letter also signed by the attorneys general of the District of Columbia and three US territories.

A Facebook spokesman said the company has “just started exploring a version of Instagram for kids” and said it was committing “to not showing ads in any Instagram experience we develop for people under the age of 13”.

The company said it agreed any version of the photo-sharing app Instagram “must prioritise their safety and privacy, and we will consult with experts in child development, child safety and mental health, and privacy advocates to inform it”.

The bipartisan letter, which was signed by the attorneys general of New York, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio, Utah, Vermont, Kentucky, and others said “it appears that Facebook is not responding to a need, but instead creating one”.

Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey said on Twitter that a children’s Instagram “is a shameful attempt to exploit and profit off vulnerable people”.

The letter said media reports from 2019 showed that Facebook’s Messenger Kids app, intended for kids between the ages of six and 12, “contained a significant design flaw that allowed children to circumvent restrictions on online interactions and join group chats with strangers that were not previously approved by the children’s parents”.

Last month, the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood also called on Zuckerberg not to create a kids version, saying it would put them at “great risk.”

© Thomson Reuters 2021
 




Source link

Continue Reading

Trending