Connect with us

Tech

Motorola unveils air charging technology that charges multiple phones wirelessly | Digit

Published

on

Motorola unveils air charging technology that charges multiple phones wirelessly | Digit


After Xiaomi officially announced the Mi Air Charge technology earlier today, Motorola also showcased its prototype for remote wireless charging called Motorola One Hyper. However, Motorola’s system is different from that of Xiaomi, in that, the phones and the wireless charging dock should not have any kind of interference in between.

A video demonstrating the charging technology was posted on Weibo by Chen Jin, General Manager at Lenovo China. In the video, it can be seen that the charging system can charge smartphones at upto one meter but there is a safeguard built on for when a person gets in between the charging unit and the phones. The charging process immediately stops after a person puts their hand in front of the dock.

Moreover, Jin called Motorola’s air to air charging system better than the current Qi wireless charging system as multiple smartphones can be charged simultaneously. Jin also asked users on Weibo whether the company should add this charging technology in the future Edge series.

Motorola showcases its own air charging system

In a separate post, Jin highlighted that the safeguard in place has been developed keeping in mind the health of users. “It is a safety protection provided when the human body is detected at the transmitting end of the charger with higher power,” Jin added (machine translated).

Other than the video, Motorola has not officially released any further details about its wireless charging technology. This could indicate that the technology is still under development and not yet ready for commercial use.

Meanwhile, Xiaomi’s over-the-air charging technology is capable of delivering wireless power to devices over a distance of a couple of meters from the isolated charging pile. This charging pile has 5 phase interference antennas to accurately determine the position of your mobile device. The 144 antennas transmit the millimetre-wide waves through beamforming. The receiving device has a built-in beacon antenna that converts it into electric energy through a rectifier circuit. You can read more about it here.

 



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Tech

Instagram, Twitter Blame Glitches for Deleting Palestinian Posts

Published

on

Instagram, Twitter Blame Glitches for Deleting Palestinian Posts


Instagram and Twitter have blamed technical errors for deleting posts mentioning the possible eviction of Palestinians from East Jerusalem, but data rights groups fear “discriminatory” algorithms are at work and want greater transparency.

Palestinians living in the Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood claimed by Jewish settlers have taken to social media to protest as they face eviction, but some found their posts, photos or videos removed or their accounts blocked starting last week.

It came as a long-running legal case over evictions from homes in Sheikh Jarrah has fuelled tensions in Jerusalem where hundreds of Palestinians clashed with Israeli police on Monday.

By Monday, 7amleh, a nonprofit focused on social media, had received more than 200 complaints about deleted posts and suspended accounts related to Sheikh Jarrah.

“On Instagram, it was mostly content takedown, even archives from older stories were deleted. On Twitter, most cases were an account suspension,” said Mona Shtaya, an advocacy advisor at 7amleh.

Instagram and Twitter said the accounts were “suspended in error by our automated systems” and the issue had been resolved and content reinstated.

Instagram said in a statement that an automated update last week caused content re-shared by multiple users to appear as missing, affecting posts on Sheikh Jarrah, Colombia, and US and Canadian indigenous communities.

“We are so sorry this happened. Especially to those in Colombia, East Jerusalem, and Indigenous communities who felt this was an intentional suppression of their voices and their stories – that was not our intent whatsoever,” Instagram said.

Calls for clarity

But in a joint statement, 7amleh, Access Now, and other digital rights groups called on Twitter and Instagram to use “transparent and coherent moderation policies” and be more open when take-downs happen.

Marwa Fatafta, Middle East, and North Africa policy advisor for Access Now, said Twitter and Instagram users saw continued restrictions on content over the weekend.

“The issue was not resolved. We’re demanding clarity on this censorship, and system glitches are no longer accepted as an excuse,” she told the Thomson Reuters Foundation on Monday.

One of those affected was Hind Khoudary, a 25-year-old Palestinian journalist based in Turkey, who noticed last Thursday that some posts about Sheikh Jarrah from her Instagram archives were not loading.

“I restarted my phone and my wifi, but it was all still missing and Instagram was very slow,” Khoudary said.

Some of her posts had been restored by Friday afternoon but some, dating as far back as April and even as recently as Saturday, were still missing according to screenshots from her phone that she shared with the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Some affected users received messages about “violating community standards” from Instagram.

Shtaya said 7amleh was still fielding complaints about disappeared content.

“It’s supposed to be done but we are still receiving reports,” she said.

Data rights groups said the technical glitch had revealed the risks of using an automated algorithm to try to weed out violent or otherwise inappropriate posts.

“Moderation is on the rise, and it’s really a blunt object,” said Jillian York, director for international freedom of expression at the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

“The companies don’t pay enough attention to cultural contexts like Palestine where there’s basically less profit, so they put a lot more effort into making content moderation and automation effective in larger markets,” she said.

She said as a result, content that doesn’t violate Instagram, Facebook or Twitter standards can get swept away by automated tools.

Fatafta said the deletion of posts about Sheikh Jarrah showed why using algorithms to moderate content was “a terrible idea”.

“It stresses the need for tech companies to be transparent about the systems they use, and ensure they do not infringe on people’s rights in such a discriminatory and arbitrary manner,” she said.

© Thomson Reuters 2021
 




Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

US Says Russian Group DarkSide Behind Oil Pipeline Ransomware Attack

Published

on

US Says Russian Group DarkSide Behind Oil Pipeline Ransomware Attack


President Joe Biden said Monday that a Russia-based group was behind the ransomware attack that forced the shutdown of the largest oil pipeline in the eastern United States.

The FBI identified the group behind the hack of Colonial Pipeline as DarkSide, a shadowy operation that surfaced last year and attempts to lock up corporate computer systems and force companies to pay to unfreeze them.

“So far there is no evidence … from our intelligence people that Russia is involved, although there is evidence that actors, ransomware is in Russia,” Biden told reporters.

“They have some responsibility to deal with this,” he said.

Three days after being forced to halt operations, Colonial said Monday it was moving toward a partial reopening of its 5,500 miles (8,850 kilometres) of pipeline – the largest fuel network between Texas and New York.

At the White House, Deputy National Security Advisor Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall said Biden was being kept updated on the incident, which threatened to crimp supplies of gasoline, diesel fuel, and jet fuel across much of the eastern United States.

Colonial said in a statement that “segments of our pipeline are being brought back online.”

“Colonial has told us that it has not suffered damage and can be brought back online relatively quickly,” Sherwood-Randall said, with no fuel disruptions so far.

Seeking ransom
The ransomware forced the company to shut down pipeline controls system for safety reasons.

DarkSide began attacking medium and large-sized companies mostly in Western Europe, Canada, and the United States last year, reportedly asking for anywhere from a few hundred thousand dollars to a few million dollars, to be paid in Bitcoin.

In return, DarkSide supplies the company with a program that will unlock the its computing systems.

They also download and retain large amounts of data from the company, threatening to release it publicly if the company does not pay up.

In a statement on their website on the dark net, they rejected allegations that they had any official backing.

“We are apolitical, we do not participate in geopolitics, do not need to tie us with a defined government and look for other our motives,” it said.

“Our goal is to make money, and not creating problems for society. “

Dmitri Alperovitch, one of the foremost cybersecurity experts who cofounded the firm CrowdStrike, said his group believes DarkSide enjoys official protection in Russia.

“A ransomware group we believe is operating (and likely harbored) by Russia has shutdown a company that is moving 45 percent of petroleum supplying the East Coast. Is it a criminal act? Sure,” he tweeted.

He said it also “undoubtedly” has “huge” national security implications, especially in US-Russia relations.

Another cybersecurity expert, Brett Callow of Emsisoft, told NBC News that an indication of the group’s origins is that its software is designed to not work on computers whose default languages are Russian or several other eastern European languages.

“DarkSide doesn’t eat in Russia,” Callow told NBC.

Anne Neuberger, deputy national security adviser for cyber, said most ransomware comes from transnational criminal groups.

Asked if Colonial Pipeline or other companies should pay the ransom, she said the Biden adminstration has not offered advice on that.

“They have to balance the cost-benefit when they have no choice with regard to paying a ransom,” she said. “Typically that is a private sector decision.”




Source link

Continue Reading

Tech

Honor confirms 66W Super Charge on the Honor Play 5

Published

on

Honor confirms 66W Super Charge on the Honor Play 5


As reported by SeekDevice, Honor took to Weibo to officially announce that its upcoming Play 5 5G smartphone will come equipped with 66W charging. This confirms our own reporting from a tipster last month that also offered leaked renders of the Honor Play 5.

Just yesterday, Honor teased the Play 5 on Weibo where it confirmed the device would launch on May 18. Based on the leaks and confirmed teasers we’ve seen so far, it’s expected that Honor may launch more than one Play 5 variant.

Honor confirms 66W Super Charge on the Honor Play 5

The most recent poster features 5G branding while the other does not, so based on the naming structure of the recent poster above, there may be 5G and LTE variants of the Play 5, each with different camera systems and some spec differences between the two.

First render leak of Honor Play 5 reported by <i>GSMArena</i>
First render leak of Honor Play 5 reported by GSMArena

According to previous rumors, the Honor Play 5 will be powered by the Dimensity 800U and sport a 6.53-inch Full HD+ OLED screen. The quad cameras are rumored to consist of a main 64MP unit, an 8MP ultrawide, and dual 2MP sensors, each for depth sensing and macro shots. We’re also expecting to see an in-display fingerprint scanner, and a battery capacity of 3,800 mAh. As of right now, we’re not sure whether these specs reflect one or more than one Honor Play 5 variant.

SourceVia



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending