Connect with us

Trending

Adani Ports Says Could Abandon Myanmar Project

Published

on

Adani Ports Says Could Abandon Myanmar Project


Adani Ports Says Could Abandon Myanmar Project

Adani Ports engaged U.S.-based law firm, Morrison Foerster, to ensure compliance with OFAC sanctions

Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd said on Tuesday it could abandon a Myanmar container terminal project and write down the investment if it is found to be violating sanctions imposed by the United States.

“In a scenario wherein Myanmar is classified as a sanctioned country under the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), or if OFAC opines that the project violates the current sanctions, APSEZ plans to abandon the project and write down the investments,” the company said in a filing to exchanges on Tuesday.

Adani Ports has engaged U.S.-based law firm, Morrison Foerster, to ensure compliance with the OFAC sanctions, it said.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Trending

Over 17.15 Crore Free Covid Vaccine Doses Given To States, UTs: Centre

Published

on

Over 17.15 Crore Free Covid Vaccine Doses Given To States, UTs: Centre


Over 17.15 Crore Free Covid Vaccine Doses Given To States, UTs: Centre

Over 28 lakh vaccine doses will be received by the states, UTs in the next 3 days (Representational)

New Delhi:

More than 17.15 crore COVID-19 vaccine doses have been so far provided free of cost to states and union territories, the central government informed on Thursday.

More than 89 lakh doses are still available with the states and UTs to be administered, said the union health ministry in a statement. It also added that over 28 lakh doses, in addition, will be received by the states and UTs in the next three days.

The country had started the COVID-19 vaccination drive on January 16 with two vaccines — Covishield (Oxford-AstraZeneca’s vaccine manufactured by Serum Institute of India) and Covaxin (manufactured by Bharat Biotech Limited).

The second phase of the COVID-19 vaccination drive to inoculate people above 60 years and those over 45 with comorbidities against the coronavirus began on March 1. The third phase began on April 1 for all above 45 years of age, while people aging above 18 to 45 became eligible for inoculation in the next phase which commenced on May 1.

The country has been witnessing a massive surge in COVID-19 infections and on Wednesday registered 4,12,262 new cases and 3,980 related deaths, as per the government data.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Day After Terse Note, Home Ministry Team Goes To Bengal To Probe Violence

Published

on

Day After Terse Note, Home Ministry Team Goes To Bengal To Probe Violence


Day After Terse Note, Home Ministry Team Goes To Bengal To Probe Violence

The Home Ministry had warned the Bengal government over the post-poll violence.

Highlights

  • Centre has sent a team to Bengal to assess the ground situation
  • The team will be led by an additional secretary of the Home Ministry
  • Home Ministry had warned Bengal government over the post-poll violence

New Delhi:

A day after Mamata Banerjee’s government received a terse warning in a second letter from the centre over the post-poll violence in Bengal, the Union Home Ministry has sent a four-member team to the state to assess the ground situation.

The team, led by an additional secretary of the ministry, has left for Bengal.

Seeking a detailed report on the violence, the Home Ministry had asked the Bengal government to take necessary measures to stop such incidents “without any loss of time”. The letter was sent hours after Ms Banerjee took oath as the Chief Minister for the third straight term.

Since the election verdict on Sunday, there have been clashes in parts of Bengal involving both the Trinamool Congress and the BJP. Both parties have traded blame for the violence.

In his second letter to the state government on Wednesday, Union Home Secretary Ajay Bhalla said, “I remind you that no report has been submitted despite my asking for details on post-poll violence on May 3rd. Non-compliance of this second letter would be taken seriously.”

The top Home Ministry official asked the West Bengal Chief Secretary why adequate measures to stop the violence have not been taken so far. “There are fresh reports which suggest that post-poll violence has not stopped. Immediate measures should be taken to stop violence and report regarding the same should be sent immediately,” Mr Bhalla wrote.

Moments after Ms Banerjee’s swearing-in ceremony on Wednesday, Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar too sent out a similar message on the violence.

“Our first priority is to bring an end to the senseless, horrendous post-poll violence…I have every hope that the Chief Minister on an urgent basis will take all the steps to restore the rule of law. I have every hope that the Chief Minister, my younger sister, will rise to the occasion,” Mr Dhankhar said, Mamata Banerjee by his side.

Mamata Banerjee had, moments before the Governor’s comments, said her first priority would be to tackle the Covid crisis and she would start off with a meeting with her top officers.

Next on her agenda, she said, was to handle the law and order situation. She has accused the BJP of stirring violence and communal tension after losing the election. On the other hand, the BJP’s top leaders allege that Trinamool Congress workers have murdered its members and set their homes on fire.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Constitutional Authorities, Stop Complaints On Media Reports: Supreme Court

Published

on

Constitutional Authorities, Stop Complaints On Media Reports: Supreme Court


Constitutional Authorities, Stop Complaints On Media Reports: Supreme Court

“It would be retrograde for the Supreme Court to gag media,” the Supreme Court said.

New Delhi:

Constitutional authorities can do better than to complain and ask for fetters on the media, the Supreme Court said today on the Election Commission’s petition complaining about media reports on the Madras High Court telling the poll body it should be booked for murder for not stopping political rallies amid Covid.

“It would be retrograde for the Supreme Court to gag media,” the Supreme Court said.

“We find no substance in prayer of EC to restrain media from reporting court proceedings. It is essential to hold judiciary accountable.” 

The Justice DY Chandrachud-led bench did say the remarks made by the Madras High Court were “harsh and the metaphor improper” and judicial restraint was necessary.

“There is a need for judicial restraint for off the cuff remarks which is open for misinterpretation. Judicial language is important for constitutional ethos. Power of judicial review is so high that it forms a basic structure,” the top court observed. The Election Commission had been conducting free and fair polls, it added.

However, the High Court was faced with rising Covid cases and the task of protecting the lives and liberty of people, the court said.

“Open access to courts is a valuable safeguard to constitutional freedom. Freedom of the press is a facet of constitutional freedom of speech and expression,” said the Supreme Court.

The Election Commission had complained about being “castigated without any evidence” when the Madras High Court reprimanded it on campaigns in the middle of a Covid surge.

The Madras High Court on April 26 said the Election Commission “should probably be booked for murder” for allowing crowded election campaigns and was “singularly responsible” for the current Covid spike. But these observations did not make it to the final order, which said “at no cost can counting become a catalyst for a further surge”.

The Election Commission last week approached the Supreme Court against what it called “blatantly disparaging remarks” and said the media should be stopped from reporting observations. It also said it was the government under the Disaster Management Authority that had to manage the rallies of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Chief Minister (E Palaniswami) and “they committed the breach”.

The Supreme Court said: “Something is observed in the larger public interest. The Election Commission should treat it as a bitter pill in the right spirit.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending