Connect with us

Trending

High Court Denies Bail To 2 Accused In Officer’s Murder During Delhi Riots

Published

on

High Court Denies Bail To 2 Accused In Officer’s Murder During Delhi Riots


High Court Denies Bail To 2 Accused In Officer’s Murder During Delhi Riots

The IB officer had died due to shock and haemorrhage, the court was told (File)

New Delhi:

The Delhi High Court has dismissed the bail pleas of two men accused of killing an Intelligence Bureau (IB) officer during riots in the north east part of the national capital last year, saying they have been “playing hide and seek with the prosecution”.

Justice Suresh Kumar Kait said in the facts and circumstances of the case where life of a young intelligence officer has been lost, the court is not persuaded to take a lenient view towards the two accused.

The court said that the trial was already in progress in the instant case and the accused will have an opportunity to make a case for bail at the appropriate stage during the course of trial.

The order came on the pleas by Sameer Khan and Kasim challenging the denial of the bail by trial court in October last year and February this year, respectively.

Both of them claimed before the high court that they were falsely implicated in the case and there was no evidence on record to connect them to the killing of the IB officer.

The prosecution had vehemently opposed the bail pleas of the two accused, saying they were not only part of the large mob which caused destruction of public property but were part of the group which took the life of IB officer Ankit Sharma.

The prosecution told the high court that according to the post-mortem report, the IB officer had died due to shock and haemorrhage on account of injuries to his lung and brain.

The court noted that the post-mortem also revealed that Mr Sharma had suffered 52 injuries which were inflicted by sharp edged and heavy cutting weapons and rest were by blunt force and all were fresh before death.

The prosecution also told the court the two accused were bad characters of the area and other FIRs were pending against them in connection with the riots and both had been missing for some time before they were apprehended and therefore, if bail was granted to them, there was every likelihood they would flee again.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Trending

Coronavirus: Jharkhand extends restrictions till May 27, adds stricter provisions

Published

on

Coronavirus: Jharkhand extends restrictions till May 27, adds stricter provisions



The Jharkhand government on Wednesday extended till May 27 the restrictions imposed to contain the spread of Covid-19, reported PTI. The decision was taken at a meeting of the State Disaster Management Authority, chaired by Chief Minister Hemant Soren.

The restrictions were first imposed on April 22 and have already been extended once till May 13. This time, however, authorities have added stricter provisions to the rules.

“The new restrictions include mandatory seven days home or institutional quarantine for people visiting the state barring those who will leave the state within 72 hours,” a state government official said. Inter-state and intra-state buses have been suspended while private vehicles will have to obtain e- passes for plying.

Jharkhand, facing the deadly second wave of the coronavirus pandemic, on Wednesday reported 103 deaths, pushing the toll to 4,085, with maximum fatalities being reported from the state capital Ranchi. The state’s tally of Covid cases climbed to 2,96,895 with 4,365 new infections.

Authorities have already prohibited all indoor and outdoor congregations of more than five people. All education centres and coaching institutions were also shut and all exams have been postponed. Cinema halls, multiplexes, stadiums, gymnasiums, swimming pools and parks, among others, had also been closed in the state.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

PM Modi Reviews Availability Of Oxygen, Medicines Amid Covid Surge

Published

on

PM Modi Reviews Availability Of Oxygen, Medicines Amid Covid Surge


PM Modi Reviews Availability Of Oxygen, Medicines Amid Covid Surge

PM Narendra Modi chaired a high-level meeting to review the situation amid Covid surge. (File)

New Delhi:

The supply of oxygen is now more than three times of what it was during the peak of the first COVID-19 wave, the Prime Minister’s Office said today, noting that production of all drugs, including Remdesivir, has been ramped up significantly in the last few weeks as India battles the nationwide surge in infections.

At a high-level meeting which Prime Minister Narendra Modi chaired to review the availability and supply of oxygen and medicines, it was noted that states are being provided medicines in good quantities with the Centre in regular touch with the manufacturers to enhance their production and extend all help needed.

The central government is actively monitoring the supply of drugs being used in the management of COVID as well mucormycosis, a rare fungal infection being reported at some places.

PM Modi said India has a very vibrant pharma sector and the government’s continued close coordination with them will ensure proper availability of all medicines.

The PMO said PM Modi was also briefed about the operations of oxygen rail and sorties by IAF planes besides the status of procurement of oxygen concentrators, oxygen cylinders as well as the status of plants being installed across the country to produce the life-saving gas.

Amid reports of ventilators lying unused in some states with local authorities blaming quality issues in a few cases, PM Modi said states should be asked to operationalise them in a time-bound manner and resolve technical and training matters with the help of manufacturers.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Bodies Found Buried In Sand By Ganga River In Uttar Pradesh’s Unnao

Published

on

Bodies Found Buried In Sand By Ganga River In Uttar Pradesh’s Unnao


Bodies Found Buried In Sand By Ganga River In Uttar Pradesh’s Unnao

Some people do not burn the bodies but bury them in the sand, said the District Magistrate

Lucknow:

Just days after dead bodies of suspected Covid patients were spotted floating on the Ganga river in Bihar and eastern UP, fresh reports have now emerged of multiple bodies found buried in sand at two locations by the same river in Uttar Pradesh’s Unnao district, just 40 km from state capital Lucknow.

Mobile phone visuals from both locations showed many buried bodies with locals looking on, most of the bodies were wrapped in a saffron cloth.

A top government official in Unnao told the media that at least one of the locations is a major cremation spot for three districts, including Unnao, and that there was no confirmation these bodies were of Covid patients.

“Some people do not burn the bodies but bury them in the sand by the river. After I got information, I sent officials to the spot. I have asked them to carry out an enquiry and we will take action,” district magistrate Ravindra Kumar told the media in a statement.

When asked if these bodies were of Covid patients in the vicinity, the official said information so far does not indicate this.

Dead bodies washed up on the banks of Ganga were sighted in eastern UP’s Ghazipur on Tuesday. “We have got the information. Our officers are present on the spot and an investigation is underway. We are trying to find out where they came from,” MP Singh, the Ghazipur District Magistrate, was quoted by news agency ANI.

Hindus revere the Ganga as the holiest of rivers but consigning bodies to it is not part of any religion’s traditions, including Hinduism.

Locals believe the shortage of wood for funeral pyres might be one reason why corpses are being abandoned in this manner.

They have also said no arrangements are being made for the last rites by officials, and that the stench continues to haunt them, triggering health concerns.

Many believe the abandoned bodies can be linked to deaths that have not made it to official Covid figures in what may be a proof of an escalating Covid crisis.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending