Connect with us

Trending

US Tracking China’s ‘Out-Of-Control’ Rocket Set To Re-Enter Earth

Published

on

US Tracking China’s ‘Out-Of-Control’ Rocket Set To Re-Enter Earth


US Tracking China’s ‘Out-Of-Control’ Rocket Set To Re-Enter Earth

Chinese Long March 5B-rocket is expected to enter Earth’s atmosphere around May 8.

Washington:

The US Department of Defence has said it is tracking the Chinese Long March 5B-rocket that is out of control and set to re-enter Earth’s atmosphere this weekend.

The Chinese rocket is expected to enter Earth’s atmosphere around May 8 and US Space Command is tracking the rocket’s trajectory amid concerns about where its debris may make an impact, CNN reported.

“US Space Command is aware of and tracking the location of the Chinese Long March 5B in space, but its exact entry point into the Earth’s atmosphere cannot be pinpointed until within hours of its re-entry, which is expected around May 8,” Pentagon’s US Space Command said in a statement.

“Until then, the 18th Space Control Squadron will be offering daily updates to the rocket body’s location on Space-track.org beginning May 4. USSPACECOM will provide additional information as it becomes available,” it added.

The roughly 100-foot object is orbiting Earth every 90 minutes and zips past north of New York, Beijing and as far south as New Zealand, Fox News reported citing a space monitoring website.

The report said that despite the threat it is most likely to splash in one of the world’s oceans or in an isolated area.

“I don’t think people should take precautions. The risk that there will be some damage or that it would hit someone is pretty small — not negligible, it could happen — but the risk that it will hit you is incredibly tiny. And so I would not lose one second of sleep over this on a personal threat basis,” Jonathan McDowell, an astrophysicist at the Astrophysics Center at Harvard University, told CNN.

This comes a time when several experts in the West have raised concerns about the clandestine ambitions behind the construction of the Chinese station and triggering of a new ”space race”.

A recently-released intelligence report by the US Office of the Director of National Intelligence on global threats said that China will continue to integrate space services–such as satellite reconnaissance and positioning, navigation, and timing (PNT)–and satellite communications into its weapons and command-and-control systems to erode the US military’s information advantage. 

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Trending

“Are You Like This Dog?” US Embassy’s Student Visa Post Angers Chinese

Published

on

“Are You Like This Dog?” US Embassy’s Student Visa Post Angers Chinese


“Are You Like This Dog?” US Embassy’s Student Visa Post Angers Chinese

A general view shows the buildings of the US Embassy in Beijing, China.

Beijing:

The resumption of student visa applications at U.S. missions in China got off to an acrimonious start this week when netizens took exception to an American embassy social media post they interpreted as likening Chinese students to dogs.

Former U.S. President Donald Trump, whose time in office was marked by tense relations in Beijing, had in January last year barred nearly all non-U.S. citizens who were in China from entering the United States after the coronavirus outbreak.

On the Twitter-like Weibo service on Wednesday, the visa section of the U.S. embassy in China asked students what they were waiting for after the Biden administration eased restrictions.

“Spring has come and the flowers are in bloom. Are you like this dog who can’t wait to go out and play?” said the post in Chinese, which was accompanied by a video of an excited puppy trying to climb over a safety gate.

The post drew an angry backlash from some Weibo users, however, who felt the comparison was inappropriate, and was later deleted.

“Is this American humour? I believe they did it on purpose!” one user wrote.

“Dogs in American culture basically have positive meanings, but in Chinese culture and idioms, they are mostly negative,” wrote another user. Others quipped that the students’ “master” was now calling them back to the United States.

The Global Times, an English-language tabloid run by the Chinese Communist Party’s People’s Daily, also cited netizens as saying that the post was “blatant racism”.

A U.S. embassy spokesman in Beijing issued an apology on Thursday morning to anyone who had been offended by the comments.

“The social media post in question was meant to be light-hearted and humorous,” he said. “We took it down immediately when we saw it was not received in the spirit we intended.”

It is not the first time animal-related remarks have sparked a backlash in China. In 2019, a senior economist from UBS was placed on leave after comments about pigs in China were perceived by some as a racial slur. He was later reinstated.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Indian Premier League 2021: How Did Coronavirus Enter IPL Bio-Bubble? What Sourav Ganguly Said | Cricket News

Published

on

Indian Premier League 2021: How Did Coronavirus Enter IPL Bio-Bubble? What Sourav Ganguly Said | Cricket News





Days after the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 was postponed, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly defended the board’s decision to stage the T20 tournament in the country amid the coronavirus pandemic. The former India captain, while explaining it is difficult to contain the virus even inside a bio-secure environment, cited the example of virus breaching Premier League bubble and affecting football players in the UK. 

Speaking about a potential breach in the bio-bubble, Ganguly, in an interview with the Indian Express, said the report received by the board suggests there was no breach. 

“I don’t think so. The report we got is that there’s no breach of the bubble. How it happened is very difficult to say. How so many people are getting (infected) in the country is also very difficult to say,” Ganguly was quoted as saying. 

Four franchises, Kolkata Knight Riders, SunRisers Hyderabad, Delhi Capitals and Chennai Super Kings, reported positive Covid cases within their camps after which the 14th edition of the IPL was postponed indefinitely. 

“Professional hands around the world can’t control it (virus penetrating the bubble). When it was happening in England (second wave of the pandemic), there were cases in the English Premier League. Manchester City, Arsenal players got infected,” Ganguly said. 

The former India skipper mentioned that due to a rigid schedule, it is difficult for the board to reschedule games easily. 

Promoted

“(Premier League) Matches got rescheduled. Because their season is six months long, they can do it. But our season is tight. Since we have to (release) players to their respective countries, rescheduling was very difficult,” Ganguly added. 

The former left-handed batsman further said that there were discussions to host the 14th edition of IPL in the UAE but since there were not many cases back then in the country, the BCCI decided to stage it in India. 

Topics mentioned in this article



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Over 17.15 Crore Free Covid Vaccine Doses Given To States, UTs: Centre

Published

on

Over 17.15 Crore Free Covid Vaccine Doses Given To States, UTs: Centre


Over 17.15 Crore Free Covid Vaccine Doses Given To States, UTs: Centre

Over 28 lakh vaccine doses will be received by the states, UTs in the next 3 days (Representational)

New Delhi:

More than 17.15 crore COVID-19 vaccine doses have been so far provided free of cost to states and union territories, the central government informed on Thursday.

More than 89 lakh doses are still available with the states and UTs to be administered, said the union health ministry in a statement. It also added that over 28 lakh doses, in addition, will be received by the states and UTs in the next three days.

The country had started the COVID-19 vaccination drive on January 16 with two vaccines — Covishield (Oxford-AstraZeneca’s vaccine manufactured by Serum Institute of India) and Covaxin (manufactured by Bharat Biotech Limited).

The second phase of the COVID-19 vaccination drive to inoculate people above 60 years and those over 45 with comorbidities against the coronavirus began on March 1. The third phase began on April 1 for all above 45 years of age, while people aging above 18 to 45 became eligible for inoculation in the next phase which commenced on May 1.

The country has been witnessing a massive surge in COVID-19 infections and on Wednesday registered 4,12,262 new cases and 3,980 related deaths, as per the government data.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending