Connect with us

Trending

Women’s Panel Demands Probe On Alleged Attack In Bengal’s Nandigram

Published

on

Women’s Panel Demands Probe On Alleged Attack In Bengal’s Nandigram


Women’s Panel Demands Probe On Alleged Attack In Bengal’s Nandigram

People queue up to cast their vote in Nandigram (File)

New Delhi:

The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Tuesday said it has taken suo motu cognisance of videos purportedly showing women being beaten up in West Bengal’s Nandigram after the assembly election in the state.

West Bengal was in the throes of widespread violence on Monday that allegedly left several BJP workers dead and injured in clashes, and shops being looted, prompting the Centre to seek a factual report from the state government on the incidents of attack on opposition workers.

In a letter to the director general of police (DGP) of the state, the NCW has sought immediate action against those accused in the violence, and demanded a time-bound investigation in the matter.

“The National Commission for Women (NCW) has come across several Twitter posts wherein some goons can be seen beating up women in Nandigram, West Bengal, post elections. The commission is deeply perturbed and has viewed this incident seriously as it questions the safety and security of women in the state,” a statement from the commission said.

“Chairperson Rekha Sharma has written to Director General of Police, West Bengal, to take immediate action and arrest the accused persons without any delay,” it added.

A team headed by the NCW chairperson will be visiting West Bengal for further inquiry into the matter, the statement said.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

Trending

Constitutional Authorities, Stop Complaints On Media Reports: Supreme Court

Published

on

Constitutional Authorities, Stop Complaints On Media Reports: Supreme Court


Constitutional Authorities, Stop Complaints On Media Reports: Supreme Court

“It would be retrograde for the Supreme Court to gag media,” the Supreme Court said.

New Delhi:

Constitutional authorities can do better than to complain and ask for fetters on the media, the Supreme Court said today on the Election Commission’s petition complaining about media reports on the Madras High Court telling the poll body it should be booked for murder for not stopping political rallies amid Covid.

“It would be retrograde for the Supreme Court to gag media,” the Supreme Court said.

“We find no substance in prayer of EC to restrain media from reporting court proceedings. It is essential to hold judiciary accountable.” 

The Justice DY Chandrachud-led bench did say the remarks made by the Madras High Court were “harsh and the metaphor improper” and judicial restraint was necessary.

“There is a need for judicial restraint for off the cuff remarks which is open for misinterpretation. Judicial language is important for constitutional ethos. Power of judicial review is so high that it forms a basic structure,” the top court observed. The Election Commission had been conducting free and fair polls, it added.

However, the High Court was faced with rising Covid cases and the task of protecting the lives and liberty of people, the court said.

“Open access to courts is a valuable safeguard to constitutional freedom. Freedom of the press is a facet of constitutional freedom of speech and expression,” said the Supreme Court.

The Election Commission had complained about being “castigated without any evidence” when the Madras High Court reprimanded it on campaigns in the middle of a Covid surge.

The Madras High Court on April 26 said the Election Commission “should probably be booked for murder” for allowing crowded election campaigns and was “singularly responsible” for the current Covid spike. But these observations did not make it to the final order, which said “at no cost can counting become a catalyst for a further surge”.

The Election Commission last week approached the Supreme Court against what it called “blatantly disparaging remarks” and said the media should be stopped from reporting observations. It also said it was the government under the Disaster Management Authority that had to manage the rallies of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the Chief Minister (E Palaniswami) and “they committed the breach”.

The Supreme Court said: “Something is observed in the larger public interest. The Election Commission should treat it as a bitter pill in the right spirit.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Kerala To Enforce Lockdown From May 8 To 16 Amid Rising Covid Cases

Published

on

Kerala To Enforce Lockdown From May 8 To 16 Amid Rising Covid Cases


Kerala To Enforce Lockdown From May 8 To 16 Amid Rising Covid Cases

Kerala Lockdown: India has crossed the grim milestone of 2 lakh Covid deaths

New Delhi:

Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan on Thursday announced a statewide lockdown from May 8-16 to fight the surge in coronavirus cases.

Most states have taken to partial lockdowns or containment measures to fight the deadly sweep of the second wave of infections.

Yesterday, the centre’s top scientific adviser warned about the “inevitable” third wave of coronavirus, adding that vaccines will need to be “updated” to deal with the new strains that have overwhelmed hospitals and left thousands dead.

India has crossed the grim milestone of 2 lakh Covid deaths.

In his address to the nation last month, Prime Minister Narendra Modi likened the second surge of coronavirus to a storm and urged state governments to use lockdowns as an absolute last resort. He stressed on micro containment measures and Covid-appropriate behaviour to beat the virus.

 



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

90 Workers Covid Positive In Assam Team Estate, Now A Containment Zone

Published

on

90 Workers Covid Positive In Assam Team Estate, Now A Containment Zone


90 Workers Covid Positive In Assam Team Estate, Now A Containment Zone

Ninety workers at Zaloni tea estate have contracted COVID-19.

Guwahati:

Ninety workers and staff members of a tea garden in upper Assam’s Dibrugarh district have tested positive for coronavirus, forcing the district administration to declare it a containment zone. 

The Dibrugarh district administration has shut down the Zaloni tea estate which falls under Tengakhat revenue circle.

The Circle Officer of Tengakhat revenue circle, Medical Inspector of Plantations and officials from the health department has been rushed to the area to take stock of the situation.

The garden hospital and the two vacant staff quarters have been turned into temporary isolation centers for the positive patients.

Dr. Nabajyoti Gogoi, the District Surveillance Officer of IDSP, Dibrugarh said a vaccination drive would be carried out in the garden from today apart from other measures like sanitization etc.

Tea garden-based organizations have been demanding vaccination in the tea garden areas since there is a possibility that the virus would spread faster in the tea gardens as the workers in the gardens reside in close proximity.

The district administration has ordered closure of all leased weekly market under Tengakhat Development block with immediate effect.

The Deputy Commissioner also instructed the concerned Circle officers/ BDOs to take steps to close all such markets in their respective areas if the situation demands.

Assam on Wednesday reported 55 COVID-19 fatalities, the highest single-day deaths, pushing the total number of fatalities to 1,485,  according to the government.

The state also registered 4,826 new COVID-19 cases, which took the tally to 2,72,751, it said.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending